The liver plays an important part in the health of our body. Caring for it properly is doing ourselves a huge favor. Including turmeric is our diet is a great way to start. Because it can be used in powder form or fresh, there are a variety of ways to use it.
Turmeric is a plant that comes from the ginger family; it is bright yellow in color, and the main spice found in curry. It has a warm peppery and bitter flavor. It’s like a mixture of ginger and orange.
It contains a healing compound called Curcumin which is known for having powerful pain and anti-inflammatory characteristics. It has been used in both Indian and Chinese medicine.
Turmeric can be used for a variety of health issues:
- Natural Antibiotic
- Improving digestion
- Blood purifier
- Natural pain killer
- Liver detoxifier
A lot of diseases today are due to inflammation which causes damage to your cells. Issues like high blood pressure, high cholesterol and digestive disorders are some of them. (Dr. Axe.)
Anti-Inflammatory Juice Recipe
This juice is easy to make. Add everything to a juicer stir gently and drink right away. When you reduce inflammation it helps your body heal itself.
- 3 celery sticks
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 green apple
- 1/2 red apple
- 1 cup mandarin orange
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 knob ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
If you prefer smoothies over juice here is something to try. It tastes good and it’s a healthy way to help detox the liver and reduce arthritis.
Turmeric Fruit Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen or fresh fruit berries of your choice
- 1/2 cup mango or orange
- 1 banana
- 1.5 tsp coconut oil
- 1 3/4 cup milk of your choice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (or 1tsp fresh and finely grated)
- 1 serving size cup yogurt of your choice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
You can substitute the fruit to your preference; though it’s good to have the berries since they are full of anti-oxidants. The important part is to consume turmeric and receive its great health benefits.
Once you have all the ingredients put everything in the blender, blend on high for a minute or so until it’s a nice smooth texture.
Selecting and Storing
- Explore local markets and ethnic markets for best quality
- Try to select organic for assurance it hasn’t been exposed to pesticides
- The color varies, it’s not a sign of quality
- Powered herb should be in a tightly sealed container and stored in a cool dark place
- Fresh herb should be refrigerated
When using this herb keep in mind that because of its bright color it stains easily. To help avoid this quickly wash the preparation area with soap and water, and consider wearing kitchen gloves to avoid stained hands.
More Ideas for Turmeric
- Seasoning for meat and veggies
- Color and flavor to pasta
- Add flavor to ranch as a dip
Explore your options and find out how you can enjoy this great herb and receive the many health benefits that come with it.